A printing proof will give you one last chance to check that everything is correct before your file is sent to the presses. Alternately, given the proof is the file that is going to be printed, why not make sure that it is correct – it only takes a short time to check a proof.
While we do our best to ensure that every project is done right, only you know your project well enough to make sure all the elements are in place. Different types of proofs are available and discussed below so you can choose the proof that fits your needs best.
Soft Printing Proof (A Digital File)
After submitting your artwork, the production department will email you a digital PDF proof, free of charge. Digital-PDF proofs are for layout proofing purpose only. They are not an accurate representation of colour or quality. When you receive this digital PDF proof, check it carefully. Most of the time, this will be the last chance you have to make any changes or corrections before your job is printed.
Here are things to check when you receive your digital PDF proof:
- Sometimes fonts and graphics are linked to artwork. Check to make sure the fonts and graphics look correct and confirm all pieces of the artwork are there.
- Make sure the size of your print job is specified correctly.
- If you need us to match colour, make sure that it is specified on the proof.
- Confirm that the correct material is specified on the proof.
- Check that the die line (cut line) is the shape and size you specified. (if you have one)
Press Proof – Hard Proof (A Physical Print)
If you have apprehension about how your print job will look when printed, especially if you want to match a colour or spot PMS colour, if you are printing your job for the first time, or if you are using a new material, it is a good idea to order a press proof. Press proofs are provided at your request, at no additional cost. They allow you to see what your job will look like before you spend money on a full print run. Press proofs are printed directly from our press, on specified material, and with required finishing as specified on your order. Press proofs represent accurate print, material, colour, and quality and are shipped to you as soon as possible.
Spot PMS colours cannot be matched by 100%. Colours must be converted into 4-colour process colours on our digital press. The press proof will show you how close we can get to the sample you submitted, or to the PMS colour you requested.
Here are things to check when you receive your press proof:
- The job looks like you wanted it to.
- Colours are acceptable.
- The text is clear and easy to read.
- The material provides the look and feels you wanted to achieve.
- The die line shows how you want your job cut.
- Double-check your spelling and grammar. Don’t let a typo go to press!
We believe there is no greater feeling than running your hand over newly printed materials and smelling that fresh ink aroma. That feeling quickly fades when we later notice a mistake or even worse, our client notices a mistake. In order to avoid mistakes in printing out large orders, we send our clients printing proofs. Next time you place an order, be sure to ask for a print proof, it’s especially important for large batch orders. We believe your approval makes the process much smoother for everyone involved, and we want you to look good.